Chestnut Gnocchi with Herb Butter and Crispy Sage
Serves 4-6 People
- 2 kg White fleshed potoato (not new potatoes), of uniform size
- 6 Eggs
- 300 g All-purpose Flour
- 150 g Chestnut Flour
- 50 g Butter
- 20 g Fresh Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary)
- 20 g Fresh Sage
- 100 g Parmesan Cheese, wedge
- 30 g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a small saucepan melt the butter with the fresh herbs over a low heat
- Place the pan on a corner of the stove or near the oven and let the flavour of the herbs infuse 1 to 2 hours in the butter
- Choose potatoes of approximately the same size and bring to a boil with their skins on. Cook at a low boil until they are soft
- While still warm, drain and peel the potatoes; then pass them through a vegetable mill onto a clean counter, or pasta board
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; meanwhile set up an ice water bath nearby
- Make a well in the center of the potatoes and sprinkle all over with the 2 flours
- Break the eggs into the center of the well. Add the salt and 20 g of the infused herb butter. Using a fork, stir in the flour and potatoes as if you were making pasta.
- Once the eggs are mixed in, bring the dough together, kneading gently until a ball is formed
- Knead gently for 4 minutes, until the ball is dry to the touch.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls. Roll one ball at time into a rope 1 ½ cm diameter and cut each rope into 2 cm pieces.
- Flick the pieces off the tines of a fork, along the concave side of a cheese grater, or on a gnocchi board, to score the sides.
- Drop the gnocchi into salted boiling water and cook until they float to the surface, about 1 minute
- Using a slotted spoon to transfer the gnocchi to the ice bath, allowing to sit for 1 minute
- Continue forming ropes and preparing pieces of gnocchi by cooking and transfering to ice bath and removing after 1 minute
- Drain the gnocchi and transfer them to a tray
- Toss with extra virgin olive oil and store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve
- When ready to serve put the herb butter in a frying pan, add the sage and sauté until brown
- Add the gnocchi and sauté until warmed through
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve